National Diploma in Computing Level 5
The National Diploma in Computing Level 5 is designed to give students the ability to launch a career in the global Information Technology and Computing industry. The qualification prepares students for the industry certification exams of leading software companies. It also serves as a foundation course for further studies at degree level in this area. On successful completion of this course, students will have an in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of computer hardware, software development, computer networks and IT helpdesk operations. They will also gain hands-on skills in developing software systems and network maintenance.
Duration: 1 year (3 trimesters)
The course is made up of 16 unit standards, delivering theoretical knowledge and developing hands-on skills in the following areas:
- Software analysis and design
- Application programming
- Database development
- Computer hardware and networks (installation, setup and troubleshooting).
- Technical support
- Ethics and professionalism in the IT industry.
The course is delivered by industry qualified teaching staff through lectures, tutorials, and practical assignments.
The course prepares students for A+ certification and Net+ certification from CompTIA. Students will have to pay an additional exam fee for the certification exams.
- At least 18 years of age (international students).
- Certificate in Computing level 3 or 4; or successful completion of New Zealand Year 12 secondary schooling; or international equivalent; and/or appropriate related work experience. (Please see Entry Requirements for more details).
- International students require IELTS level 5.5 (Academic).
On successful completion of the qualification the student is prepared for the following career opportunities in the IT industry:
- Helpdesk personnel
- Network technician
- Technical support (hardware, networking and software).
- Computer sales and service
- Junior programmer
|Alexey Alexeevich Trifonov – Russia|
National Diploma in Computing – Level 5
As IT is in demand in NZ, I am planning to complete Level 7, specialising in software development or web programming. I chose NZ because I find it safe here, there’s very little crime or abuse, and also because of the lower cost of living. The teachers take the time to make sure that I understand, and they are very practical, helping us grow professionally. They helped me prepare my CV and assisted me in finding a part time job. The free laptop computer is very useful and the internet connection in college is fast. I get along very well with my classmates as they are all very friendly and I have made a lot of international friends! Best college I have ever been to!
[ Back to top ]